Friday 27 November 2015

Long time no see

First of all let me apologise for the fact that this post is about 9 months overdue. I got a bit caught up in many things and neglected to keep my blog up to date. But mostly let me say thank you to everyone who supported me on my endeavors this summer. With your support and donations I managed to raise a touch over £2,000 for Mind so THANK YOU, it'll make such a difference to so many people.

Anyway, I'll give a quick summary of the last 9 months. I completed a course in accounting and now have a certificate in it (woo), I also worked at an accounting firm and had a surprisingly good time (it's not as bad as everyone seems to think) though for now it's not for me. Hence it's handy that I finally got to go back to Cambridge and am now here doing a masters in Systems Biology (and before you ask I'm not sure anyone really knows what that means). But more importantly I cycled 99.5 miles around London and Surrey (unfortunately I had to walk some of Leith Hill owing to a a major accident on the day ahead of me). I also took part in the London Triathlon and generally worked hard to earn all the money I could for Mind. If you want to hear more about the details please do get in touch and I'll try to catch up with you when I have a bit more time.

On to the now (and hopefully this time I really will keep the blog up to date with at least monthly posts). I'm most of the way through my first term back at Cambridge, and as I feared might happen, I have slowly slid my way back 'into episode' as the doctors say. In normal English, my brain is being a pain and deciding to make a mountain out of everything I do day to day and so I'm officially depressed again. This time I've taken action sooner though so am still on top of things (I think). Hence I've now added mirtazapine to the list of chemicals I use to 'normalise' myself. So far the side effects aren't too bad, though spending most of my morning half asleep always helps with being productive. Still better the be half-productive than give up all together. If you are reading this and are worried, you don't need to be (too much), Cambridge is just a very intense place and my brain is trying to tell me what I already know, this environment isn't healthy, but it is manageable. Hopefully I'll write a post going into a bit more detail about what I mean when I say this in due course. Don't get me wrong though, I love Cambridge.

This brings me nicely onto the more positive side of things. Once again I'm doing something to help others who are struggling with their mental health. In a couple of weeks time I will be running 10km around London's Victoria Park dressed in a Santa suit and becoming very sweaty. All of this will be to raise money for the great charity Sane, so please do donate via my justgiving page if you can spare any money. What makes Sane so great is the amazing amount of support that they provide for those struggling with their mental health, or those who are caring for others. The sad fact is that Sane don't have the resources they need to help everyone they want to, so this is where we need to do what we can to help.

As it's currently a very busy part of term, I'll leave this post there for now, but I promise that I'll be back soon with more to talk about. In the meantime I'll hopefully give my blog a bit of a spring clean. Do keep your eyes peeled though, something very exciting is in the works and I will reveal all in a couple of weeks. In the meantime please do donate anything you can afford to Sane. Every pound can and will make a difference. Honestly it's the best gift you could give me this Christmas (well, I confess, probably the second best, a PhD place would be pretty nice too) If you can spare any money then you can donate via the link below.

Please sponsor me and make someone's Christmas better

No comments:

Post a Comment