Monday 20 October 2014

First Week of Training

SO there I am, plans made, events committed to.  Time to start training.  I'm taking day 1 to be 14th October for the matters of anyone who wants to know.  So where to start.  I have a list of events I'm currently trying to select from to fill my time from now until August.  But on this list was Leatherhead Duathlon on 19th October.  So why not I thought, a nice week of training to be ended with a sprint length duathlon (5km run, 22km bike, 5km run) to get some practice at transitions.  Nothing like a baptism of fire.

So, I booked the event and got around to getting back in to training.  On day 1 I pulled on some running shoes for the first time since running Reigate Half-Marathon with my girlfriend in September.  I only went for an 8km run, something that used to be a cool down at my fitness peak.  Not so much now.  This time it hurt, quite a bit, but it was nice to get back in to things.  I decided to do the same thing again on day 2, same run, same pain.  At least this time I knew what to expect.  Sunday sure isn't going to be easy.  I'm just glad there will be a 20km bike to break up my 10km of running.  Here enjoy one of my many photos:  (I'm taking at least one every day to produce an album of my year)

Come day 3 I decided it was time to bring out my road bike.  Since my injury she has sat unused for quite a while.  I tendered to her with some TLC and took her out for a spin.  40km later I got home.  It's safe to say I've spent a long time off of the saddle.  My legs hurt, a lot.  I've learned a valuable lesson; bring food! After an hour in the saddle you'll sure know if you don't.  Well lesson learned.  I have to take care of myself if I'm going to be able to ride 100 miles in August.  For now I've settled for a quarter of that, and hopefully in time that'll get longer and longer (or else I'll be stuffed come August...)  Here have a photo of my beautiful bike in question.  Yes I'm a bit nuts and talk about my bikes like they are people and call them things like beautiful and loyal.  Just ask my friends, they'll tell you all about my bike obsession, what with the 6 I own... (I'll get to that in another post)  Anyway here's my bike:


By day 4 (aka Friday) I'd spent enough time lying awake at night with visions of being in choppy water in a London dock, flailing in a useless manner to decide it was time to learn to swim properly.  I cycled off to my local leisure centre and hit the pool.  I haven't gone really swimming in a long time.  It was time to find out what I can do.  The answer is this, 100m continuous swimming.  I guess it's time to get cracking.  I'm going to do a lot of work on my technique and confidence.  Two sessions a week for now.  And in the new year I'll start arranging some open water sessions.  This is going to be my biggest challenge I feel.  Here's a really hot swimsuit selfie for those who want one (and for those who don't)

I think the horror there in my face perfectly sums up how I feel about the swim section of my triathlon.  There are certainly more restless nights to come.  With my race on Sunday I decided to take a nice light session on Saturday.  Just a low intensity 20km bike ride to get some more riding in my legs before my first ever duathlon.  On to that next...

P.S. If you want to see more photos there will soon be a link up on the right to the album, the same album is linked to my donations page so you can see it on there too.

Thanks for reading,

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment